Fudgy cookie bars loaded with M&M’s®!
I love cookies. But I looooove COOKIE BARS more…
Why I wouldn’t love them? They are easier to prepare, no chilling needed and less clean up.
I have nothing against drop cookies. I’m just a lazy person 🙂
These cookie bars are soft and fudgy… not cakey.
Just a tip, load them with lots of M&M’s. See the next photo? I ran out of extra M&M’s for sprinkling because my son and I ate them earlier. Who can’t resist M&M’s???
While shooting, a small hand suddenly landed on my subject. A proof that these M&M cookie bars are irresistible.
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (150g) brown sugar
- 1 piece (57g w/o shell) large egg*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (125g) cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup (60g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups M&M's® milk chocolate, set aside 1/4 cup for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line 8x8" pan with foil or parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides for easy lift.
- Combine flour and baking soda in a bowl, set aside.
- Combine melted butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Using a spatula, mix until smooth and not gritty, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the egg and mix until well combined. Add vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix. When half of the flour has been absorbed, fold in M&M's® and chocolate chips. Mix until no more lumps or streaks of flour. Do not overmix.
- Spread the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining M&M's®. Bake for 15 minutes or until the top has set and the sides start to pull away from the sides. Do not overbake, they will become dry and cakey.
- Allow to cool in the pan set on a wire rack. They will continue to cook as they cool down so it's very important not to overbake them. Once cooled, lift the overhang of the foil or parchment paper out of the pan and cut into squares.
- Store cookie bars in an airtight container at room temperature. They will stay fresh for 1 week.
- • Measuring the egg - crack egg into a small bowl, beat with fork, then measure out using a food scale. Or just use 1 large egg.
- • These cookie bars are best eaten after they have been cooled completely. The flavors develop more as they cool. We love eating them the next day.