Garlic and chorizo pasta in thick, creamy white sauce. My favorite pasta dish!
Note: The following photos may be unappealing but… I can assure you this recipe is definitely for keeps.
The poor subject in the photos was from last night’s dinner. I only warmed it up in the microwave that’s why it looks dry and lumpy. Luckily I was able to save some for my photo session before it was entirely wiped-out by my fam (they’re super fan of “red”spaghetti by the way). Yes, the moment I served it on the table together with this garlic parmesan breadsticks… Everything. Gone. In. A. Flash.
I love how chorizo and garlic complements the subtle flavor of the creamy white sauce. The best combination! So if you want more flavor, add more chorizo and garlic.
Just a reminder, do not use other variety of chorizo other than macao/macau. Subbing other variety will greatly affect the flavor.
- 250g - 300g spaghetti noodles
- 6 pieces (220g) chorizo macao/macau, sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon (14g) unsalted butter
- 14 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (480ml/16oz) milk
- 1 cup (240g) cream (heavy, table, thick or all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup (about 70g) cheddar cheese, grated
- parsley, finely chopped
- Cook spaghetti noodles until al dente. Set aside.
- In a large skillet (preferably non-stick) on medium to high heat, cook chorizo until oil comes out. Transfer chorizo to a plate and set aside.
- Lower the heat and add butter on the same pan. Once butter has melted, saute garlic until fragrant.
- Add all-purpose flour, cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add milk, stir until mixture thickens.
- Add cream and cheese. While stirring continuously, simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted (do not boil). Put back the cooked chorizo and add parsley.
- Finally add in cooked noodles, stir until everything is coated with sauce. Serve.
- • Do not use other variety of chorizo other than macao/macau. Subbing other variety will greatly affect the flavor.
- • It is very important to cook the sauce in low heat (starting from step 3).
This pasta dish is best paired with these breadsticks: